As of October 1st, 2015, Oregon’s medical marijuana dispensaries may choose to begin selling marijuana for adult (recreational) use to persons who are at least 21 years of age, under the regulation of the Oregon Health Authority (OHA). Here are some important snippets of information to learn and share with your friends.
Who can buy it?
- Adults who are at least 21 years old (and, of course, medical marijuana cardholders)
- A valid government issued photo ID showing name and date of birth is required.
- Only the date of birth of the purchaser is recorded to maintain compliance with the OHA.
Where can we buy it?
- Current OHA-licensed medical marijuana dispensaries may choose to sell to adults 21+ along with OMMP cardholders.
- Recreational marijuana stores licensed by the OLCC will not be open for business until fall of 2016 at the earliest.
- It is legal to purchase cannabis from a state-licensed medical marijuana dispensary.
- Marijuana cardholders are allowed to share cannabis products with persons 21+
What can we buy?
- Adults 21+ may purchase up to 7 grams (¼ oz) of marijuana (pot, weed, bud, flower) each day.
- Adults may also purchase up to 4 immature marijuana plants (clones) and seeds per day.
- Medical marijuana cardholders can still purchase all cannabis products that are available, including hash oil concentrates, edibles, tincture and topicals.
Where can we consume it?
- Consume marijuana on private property, presumably out of public view.
- Marijuana cannot legally be consumed in public (your car, bars, parks, sidewalks, etc.)
Where should we keep it?
- Don’t keep an open container of marijuana in your vehicle; keep it locked safely in your trunk.
- Consider obtaining a lock box to keep children and pets safe.
- Remember that marijuana bud is a perishable product so keep amounts to a minimum to ensure freshness.
Why should I renew my OMMP card? Most medicated items — hash oil concentrates, edibles, tinctures and topicals — are only available for medical marijuana card holders. You may be missing out on many amazing new products if you don’t renew your medical marijuana card!
- 24 oz (672 grams) flower
- 6 mature plants & 18 clones
Max Purchase Allowed Per Day
Bud: 24 oz — that’s 1.5 pounds!Clones: 18 Seeds Oils & Concentrates — also up to 1.5 pounds! Edibles (hard and soft candy, taffy, chocolate, confections, caramel corn, etc.) Tinctures (alcohol or glycerin derived, with many herbs added) Topicals & Salves Beverages (ginger ale, kombucha, soda, etc.) Transdermal Patches
None (covered by medical marijuana application fee)
Adult (Recreational) Consumers
- 8 oz (224 grams) flower in residence
- 4 plants per residence
- 1 oz on person (not visible)
Max Purchase Allowed Per Day
Bud: ¼ oz (7 grams)Clones: 4 Seeds
25% starting in January 2016
How do I get a medical marijuana card? We have copies of the OHA paperwork available in our lobby, and the State of Oregon has created detailed handbook PDF that is available to download and print. Call Substance for the most up-to-date information and current lists of OMMP doctors.